Director of Community Education for Ankeny Community Schools for 30 years, Koester will make sure education comes first in Iowa. His diverse
leadership experience includes time as president of both the national
and state Associations of Community Education, and an elected board
officer for Iowa Dollars for Scholars, Ankeny School District Foundation,
Ankeny Substance Abuse Project, YMCA, United Way, Employee and
Family Resources, and Ankeny Chamber of Commerce.
A life-long Iowan and University of Iowa alumnus, Koester and his wife Linda
raised three children here in Iowa and are committed to a better future for
- Served in Iowa House District 70 from 2009- Current
- Married to Linda - 37 years
- Three grown children - Chris, Erin & Ryan
- Elder Board Member - Ankeny Free Church
- Director of Community Education, Ankeny Community Schools (1979 - 2009)
- Board Officer for Neveln, ASAP, Dollars for Scholars and others
- Past President National Community Education Association
- 2003 Ankeny Citizen of the Year, Ankeny Chamber
- 2008 Hall of Fame inductee, National community Education Association
- 2009 Legislator of the Year, Iowa Fraternal Insurance Congress
- 2010 Outstanding Service Award, Iowa Health Care Association
and Iowa Center for Assisted Living
- 2011 Legislator of the Year, Iowa Library Association
Legislative Leadership Representation:
- Chair, Iowa House Ethics Committee
- Served as Member of House Committees for Education, Education Appropriations, Human Resources (Health & Human Services), State Government, Transportation
- Legislator Liaison Appointments include: Iowa Council for Early Access, State Child Care Advisory Committee, Iowa Tobacco Control Commission, Polk County Health Services Board, Iowa School Nurses Organization Advisor, State Task Force on "Instructional Time"
What others say:
"Kevin Koester has the experience needed to be an effective leader for in the Iowa House"
- Jeff Lamberti, Past President of the Iowa Senate, Attorney, CEO Barnstormers
"As our state representative Kevin Koester will continue to do what he has always done-serve the people of Ankeny. Over the past 29 years Kevin has impacted thousands of lives in our community by heading up Iowa's premier community education program. I know what being a state representative entails—and Kevin Koester is the right person for this job."
- State Representative Carmine Boal
"Having worked with Kevin Koester on the SummerFest committee for the last several years, I can say that he has been an integral voice who has brought his much needed ability to work towards well-thought and workable solutions to the committee. I am excited to support Kevin's campaign."
- Mark Land, Ankeny SummerFest Chairman/Snyder Engineering